Thursday, August 22, 2013

Joy at the Worlds End

I've had a strange week of highs and lows. On Monday I got a chemical burn on my eyes and was blinded for three days until I got glasses. I was stuck in my apartment without the ability to see, watch TV, or write. I have exceptionally bad eye sight so for three days the world was just a bunch of blurred points and sounds. I had to put my surrounding together from context clues. I lost my freedom, couldn't drive, couldn't go to a shop and buy food, couldn't express myself online, go to work or even for a walk because who knows what I could have walked into. So that was hellish and boring.

Then there was today. Today I went to work, meh, not that great....but then I went to the Drafthouse to watch the Cornetto Trilogy. Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and The Worlds End. All three of these movies are great, and worth many viewing, they are funnier than even the above average comedy, smarter and most of all more joyful than any other movies. Each of them takes on the form of a genre piece, the Zombie movie, the buddy cop action film and the latest one, a science fiction end of the world alien invasion film, but none of them are actually about those things, ones a romantic comedy, ones a film where the main character discovers "whats most important in life", and this last one is about nostalgia, addiction, and choosing who you are going to be. The one thing that strings them all together though is the thing that made my night. They are Joyful films.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ZOMBIES GUN FIGHTS AND ROBOTS!!!!

I've often been told that I'm a joyful person. Joy is a strange term, it's overly spiritual, which is why my mom likes to use it so much. It fits me though, I have a sort of enthusiasm and sense of wonder at good things, as a girl who I like a lot once said "Like a puppy", I think she was half annoyed and have in admiration when she said that, and maybe if we are lucky she'll post in the comments about it. She wasn't wrong though, I am very much like a puppy, and that can sound immature, but seeing as I haven't pee on my carpet ever, I feel OK about it. So I'm joyful, puppy like, I'm OK with that but it has to mean something more than happy, they are different words they have to mean different things. I'm not happy, I've been stuck in the same job for too long, in a life that is stalled, though I've finally started on a way out of it, life is hard, it's lonely, I was at that movie alone tonight surrounded by others who had people to enjoy it with. None of that makes me happy, it makes me frustrated, upset, anxious, but none of that takes away from the joy of a great experience like I had tonight.
Tonight I had a night where I got to enjoy people having fun, I got to revel in humor, good food and beer. I got to be enraptured in something I wanted everyone to share in because its so much fun, and in all those things it doesn't matter if I'm happy or anxious or fearful or annoyed, because that pure enjoyment of whatever is at hand is what matters, and that feeling at least for a moment makes you happy, even if your not or have no reason to be. Joy is finding that worth while thing, that amazing thing in whatever mundane piece of life and really letting it affect you and being happy in that moment. I had that Joy tonight in sharing in the Joy of the makers of The Worlds End, and the enjoyment of the audience I saw it with. It was a good night.




THEY GOT WHO TO PLAY BATMAN? HAVE THEY SEEN DAREDEVIL?




1 comment:

  1. Well, you did single me out... Yes, you are extremely similiar to a puppy. Your very nature is playful and adorable. I often wondered if I threw a ball, would you chase it? You also have a LOT of energy. Sometimes it's infectious, but often draining just like a new puppy. Puppies want to play all day long. This is why we give them to kids. Adults can't quite handle it anymore. Have you thought about teaching little kids? Just a thought. I would even go so far to say you *are* a puppy. I think that sums it up. :)

    ReplyDelete